Saturday, February 21, 2009

Progress Report, Day Twenty One

This was going to be my ten point day, but then it wasn't.

Prose Writing: 0 Words.

Comics Writing: 10 Pages.

Notes: I woke up today with a truly incandescent headache, which took me more than half the day to shake. Then I got to work. But later on Matt called to remind me I hadn't posted the previous day's word count (which I would normally do first thing in the morning -- if I didn't get it posted the previous night -- but with the headache and all I wasn't in my routine and would have forgotten to do it). After that bit of business we ended up talking about all manner of things: a cool part of his new novel that parallels something in my new novel, and how we can both take a lesson from the early books of Freddy Forsyth in what we choose to focus on in a story; the absolute wretchedness of the new series Doll House (in detail); the many strengths and few but significant weaknesses of the novels of Orson Scott Card; and the surprising revelation that we both shared a favorite novel in Heinlein's Starship Troopers (not at all to be confused with the deplorable movie). After more than an hour of this I slowly recognized that Matt was trying to keep me on the phone so that I'd miss making my 5 points today. Then again, he saved me from losing two points by not posting yesterday's numbers, so I'm not sure what sort of game he's actually playing, but I know he's up to something.
     I did take a bit more than an hour out tonight to watch the made for HBO movie Taking Chance, which I recommend to all, without reservation. It's a showcase for the power of understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment