Thursday, February 5, 2009

Progress Report, Day Five


Comics pages: 3
Prose words: 3,790

Today's major accomplishment was finishing the short story, "Cleansed and Set in Gold," which was the first big milestone. I spent the morning working on JSA pages in order to get the script back to Willingham, and got to write my first ever dialog for Power Girl, Damage, and Cyclone. Lots of great stuff; Bill and I have a good, solid first story arc coming along here.

The afternoon and evening was spent finishing up the short story, which now goes in the drawer and won't come out again for a few days. It's very rough-drafty and needs a little while to simmer before I can see it clearly.

But by 11:00 I was finished with the story and the JSA pages and didn't quite know what to do with myself, so I started a little character study for one of the principals in the new book, Office of Shadow. It's the life story of a Fae woman named Sela who's been raised as a ward of the monarchy after being rescued from a rather horrid childhood. She now works for the Seelie government as a sort of mata-hari, and is one of the first characters we meet in the novel. She has a Big Secret that I'm trying to work out when to reveal. Said Big Secret, when revealed, sets up other big plot points in the Midwinterverse, so it's all very dicey.

But the important thing is that now I have actually WRITEN PART OF THE BOOK, which is going to be the focus of all the rest of my prose activities for the rest of the duel. I was kind of dreading beginning the thing, but now all of the possibilities and excitement of this world are welling up again, and I can't wait to get started in earnest. So the score for Office of Shadow now stands at 578 words down, and only 99,422 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment