Thursday, February 26, 2009

Progress Report, Day 10,000


Comics pages: 4
Prose words: 8,031

I wasn't going to go down without at least a single 10-point day to my name. This one took a lot of doing, as I ended up working on four different projects in order to get it done. Three of the comics pages were Jack of Fables, and one of from House of Mystery. The majority of the prose was the new novel, but the last 250 words, the ones that got me over the hump, was a pair of long paragraphs from the kids' book.

Here's a few paragraphs from the new novel:

“My name is Paet,” said Everess’s associate. “You’ve never heard of me, and I doubt you’ll meet many who have. I know a number of useful things, and I will teach you these things should you decide to accept our offer.

“And who, exactly, are you?” asked Silverdun, looking the man in the eye.

“I am a Shadow,” said Paet. “Nothing more.” He tapped his blackwood cane on the ground.

“What does that mean?”

Paet smiled, a tiny, precise smile. “Its lack of content is precisely what defines a Shadow, Lord Silverdun. That is one of the things I will teach you.”

Silverdun wanted to mock this strange man’s deliberate obtuseness, but found himself unable under the glare of those wolfish eyes.

“Here is another thing that you will learn someday, though you won’t understand it now. Shadows are not creatures of darkness. They are cast, by the sun. They are the necessary consequence of that which stands in the way of light.”

“You’re right,” said Silverdun, attempting a nonchalant smile. “I haven’t the slightest clue what you’re going on about.”

“You will,” said Paet simply.




Oh, snap!

6 comments:

  1. Holy crap! We have ourselves quite a contest! You and Bill are tied up again and now you have the single highest day word count. Congrats!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Matt.

    I dunno what's going on here, but you are much more competitive than I thought. That's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's going on is that his beloved wife let me down. Stacy was supposed to have long ago put her foot down and made Matt spend more time with the family, rather than waste it on this silly contest. I was counting on a mid-month intervention to guarantee me the win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was my thinking too. Mark and I have day jobs. Chris and Matt have families. I was sure that Willingham had a lock because he has the kind of life that gives you the opportunity to be a total shut in.

    So far we have had fewer lead changes than a Harlem Globetrotters game.

    I made a prediction on Day 4 so I'm waiting to see if that comes to pass.

    Like I said, I'm glad Sturges made a game of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you implying that I'm the Washington Generals?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course not. I thought they were called the Senators. Oh, I just checked and they are the Generals.

    I am just impressed by your general feistiness.

    I do like how neither of you are posting until the next day for fear that the other will top you by a hundred words. Nice to see last minute cramming on day 26.

    ReplyDelete